(urth) God/Increate in the New Sun

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Thu Dec 2 12:44:08 PST 2010

On 12/2/2010 11:47 AM, Ryan Dunn wrote:
> There is the passage which details the Hierogrammates having to leave one universe for another  through a "side exit" of sorts, as I recall, which implied they did not have control over its conditions enough to prevent their having to flee.
>
> I just don't remember the mechanics of how the sun was restored, and the ramifications of the subsequent flood.

In their terms, they fled to Yesod from their iteration of Briah to
escape the Grand Gnab. They subsequently discover they can open
wormholes back into the current Briah from Yesod, and energy naturally
travels through these, similar to the way matter and energy flow through
black holes from Briah to Abaddon, the next lower universe. The White
Fountain, then, is an artificial star powered by matter and energy
flowing through a wormhole from Yesod to Briah. It is guided to the Sun
by homing in on its spiritual link to Severian, and upon arrival it
enters the Sun, restoring it to full brightness.

The flood and quakes are a side-effect of the tidal forces of the huge
mass and spacewarp passing by, judged necessary by Tzadkiel to disrupt
the biological and political leviathans remaining on Urth in order to
give humanity a fair second chance on Ushas.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >