(urth) Losing Imitation

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 31 07:49:24 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: Have you considered the possibility that "Urth is Green" has a metaphorical meaning?
>That Green is what Earth/Urth can become if we lose our humanity?  It would seem to fit reasonably
>well with the themes Wolfe is exploring in the Short Sun trilogy.

I think this is insightful. Still, being SF, I think Wolfe tends to take what is metaphor on Earth
and turn it into reality on Urth ("fleshed from dreams", so to speak).

I think there is evidence that humans on Urth during Severian's time DID lose their humanity, evidenced
by the relentless institutionalized cruelty with which they treat each other, both in the Commonwealth
and in Ascia, the only two places on Urth we are able to see.

Likewise, there is evidence that the Neighbors lost their..erm...Neighborhoodiness?..on Green and did
not treat other beings in their star system (including in the Whorl) very well.

We could haggle over time frames, but I think there is a suggestion that the star (whatever it might
be named) of Blue and Green may have gone through a black hole/white fountain process affecting both
planets.