(urth) Losing Imitation

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Wed Dec 29 19:05:57 PST 2010

From: "James Wynn" <crushtv at gmail.com>

>>> James Wynn-
>>> If Wolfe is to be credited, they are not.
>>
>> Gerry Quinn-
>> He also said Urth = Green, and look at the trouble THAT'S caused!
>
> It doesn't mean it isn't true. It only means it has not been established
> HOW it is true. I think it is true. I only doubt that the Blue/Green sun
> is Urth's Sol.

Completely different planets, completely different biota, completely
different stars, you get from one to the other in a generation ship...

>> Gerry Quinn-
>> As you say, he made some comment to that effect.  But the book indicates
>> otherwise, so I tend to believe he misspoke, though I guess theories
>> about two groups of abos are tenable if one has some reason for believing
>> that.
>
> There are at least two OTHER groups of abos identified.

True, but the hillmen and marshmen seem to differ culturally, not
biologically.

> Furthermore we KNOW abos sometimes take the forms of trees if the stories
> of their reproduction are to be believed. And only a very naive Wolfean
> reader would think VRT's pussy cat is just a pussy cat.

I don't know about the cat, but I am pretty sure the trees are not abos.
There is some sexual symbolism / mythology regarding trees, and the abos
seem to think the trees father children.  Nevertheless male abos exist and
have sex with females, who bear children as humans do.

> There were multiple groups of humans that came to St A/St C. Why would the
> abos, so famous for changing their appearance, be in only one form?

They copied the humans who landed first - presumably just one group,
possibly monoracial.  Abos have both genders and individual appearances.

- Gerry Quinn