(urth) Fish and Caves

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 29 17:34:35 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: You seem to think that the Solar Cycle has some secret history that is its
>fundamental theme, that is everywhere obscured by misdirection and hidden
>away in allusions.  I don't subscribe to that. I don't consider it a negative action to
>point out problems with proposed explanations.

You are on the right track Gerry, but veer off with the idea of what is "fundamental".

In SotT, Severian and Dorcas discuss the "keys to the universe". In fiction, as has been
discussed, "universe" is equivalent to "story". I think we are wise to consider the key
they discuss in relation to the stories in the brown book:

>"...everthing, whatever happens, has three meanings. The first is its practical meaning...
>'the thing the plowman sees'. The cow has taken a mouthful of grass and it is real grass,
>and a real cow--that meaning is as important and as true as either of the others.

>The second is the reflection of the world of the world about it. Every object is in contact
>with all others and thus the wise can learn of the other by observing the first. That might
>be called the soothsayers' meaning because it is the one such people use when they prophecy
>a fortunte meeting from the tracks of serpents...etc.

>The third is the transubstantial meaning. Since all objects have their ultimate origin in
>the Pancreator [for stories, read "author"], and all were set in motion by him--which is the
>higher reality"

Gerry, your emphasis on the first meaning, the plowman's viewpoint is understandable. You are
a mathematician and find little value in soothsayers and the transubstantial. You want proof
and grounding in the physical reality of the universe in everything you think about, be it
physics, farming or god. This material reality is a very important part of a story and it cannot
be ignored.

However, you might consider being a good chap and respect the discussion by others regarding
symbolism and mythology and religion and other such rubbish as is being purported as hidden
within the words of the story. You do have the author's word that such meanings are of equal
importance to what you consider to be of sole importance.