(urth) interview questions

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sun Dec 26 08:07:42 PST 2010

>> James Wynn-
>> On the other hand, the quotes supporting this view are scanty and
>> obscure. And Roy--although IMO his refutations often prove far less than
>> he believes they do--in this case I must admit that they are at least as
>> weighty as yours.
> Roy C. Lackey-
> Huh.I really, really don't want to get into another tedious Urth/Ushas = Green
> or Blue debate; it's been done to death. But since you brought up weighty
> arguments, I don't recall that this one has been brought up before:[disappearance of Lune, questions regarding gravity]

Actually the weighty arguments I had in mind were the quotes you offered
that seems to set Sol far away from Blue and Green. I find those quite
bracing. Arguments of practicality are of the second sort I mentioned:
* Which planet is Urth? (Blue is a better candidate but Marc places a
lot of stock Wolfe's answer)
* How did the orbits get so screwy?
* If the Whorl has come home why does it leave at the end of the novel?
* The unending tap of inferrable technical problems with equating
between Blue/Green and Lune/Urth or Verthandi/Urth or Tzadkiel/Urth,  et
cetera (actually this last sort of problem occurs for explanations that
are agreed to be true).

Perhaps the Rajan is implying that the Neighbors were originally human.
Perhaps he is implying that they are the Hieros of Urth. Perhaps the
whole point is for _them_ to return to Urth. So many theories in Wolfe
novels start as a filler in what _seems_ to not be explained.

u+16b9