(urth) interview questions

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 25 15:51:10 PST 2010

Well, as far as the interviews go, I think sometimes Wolfe is more open than others.  I agree, Jordan rubbed him the right way as someone whose world view Wolfe respected, Gevers just wants the quick and easy solution and tries to trap Gene into an answer by his "comprehensive" list of options so that Gene can't get away with any answer, becuase evasion will just look like affirmation.

There is a reason Wolfe writes the way he does, and sometimes mysteries should be left open. Questionable interview tactics, honestly, and showing what I feel to be a real lack of respect for the writer's aesthetic goal.  I have a feeling Gene thought, I want to write a story where it will be very hard to answer the normal questions: who, what, when, where, why, but one where the didactic message is plain and exposed, an inverted novel.  And to just kind of throw that question in there with those permutations seems disrespectful in a way, but he forgot Urth/Yesod, Urth/Verthandi, etc, but I still think Wolfe did not appreciate the question and became intentionally terse.

I put no stock in what he tells Gevers, and great stock in what he shares with Jordan.