(urth) Fish and Cave

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Fri Dec 24 07:37:11 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "Lee Berman" <severiansola at hotmail.com>

>>Gerry Quinn: I don't shrink away from ambiguity - in fact I have been
>>pointing out
>>ambiguities here!  What I don't accept without very strong evidence are
>>theories that are self-contradictory.
>
> Well, yes, what I mean is that by pointing out ambiguities you feel you
> are disproving
> theories or weakening them perhaps.

In this particular case, I pointed out that either of two possible sea
goddesses could have been meant - that increases the number of possible
theories rather than limits them.  Of course by the same token it can
slightly weaken any theory based on it being a particular one of the two.

It is natural that there should be a tension between the proliferation of
theories and their strength.  This is precisely why I challenge theories,
that is to say I investigate how well the fit with the text as a whole.  If
every possible theory is equally valid, no theory means anything much.

> If self-contradiction really bothers you so much I can understand why you
> don't believe in God.
> I accept and now much better understand your role in interpreting Gene
> Wolfe. It is a valuable
> one.

For the record, I think there *is* room for believing in God, that is to say
I think there are interpretations of the physical universe as we understand
it that allow for a God in the strong sense.  I do think the universe cannot
be self-contradictory.  A text can, but preferably should not.  I give it
the benefit of the doubt until a contradiction is proved.

Anyway I will wish you and everyone a Merry Christmas!

- Gerry Quinn