(urth) spatial temporal rules of astral travel

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 14:45:59 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: If the Ascians are attacking the Commonwealth, defence against them is
>hardly a pointless war.

Aw Gerry, I can't believe you said that. Next you will tell me that the USA and UK were
in grave danger of being invaded by Afghanistan and Iraq? ;= ). (When I say "pointless"
I mean from the perspective of the people fighting the war, not those actually in control
of things.)

I do not think Gene wolfe is so naive about war.

Consider the words of the Old Autarch in discussing the history of the war with
Severian:

>He paused.  "Both could be ours.  Both armies, not just the one to the south....Would you
>advise me to take both?".....

>"you were right when you called them the slaves of Erebus.  They think themselves the allies
>of those who wait in the deep.  In truth, Erebus and his allies would give them to me if I
>would give our south to them.  Give you and all the rest".

Add this to some cryptic words from Master Ash and we can be quite clear that Erebus is just
playing a war game with his millions. We may interpret his desire for control of the south, of
"YOU and all the rest" to mean he hopes to control Severian and the coming of the New Sun.

Next consider the words of Father Inire's letter. He is spying for the Ascians and supporting
the pro-Ascian, anti-Commonwealth actions of Vodalus and his group. Consider Maxellindis'
Uncle's story of the women's voices and a deeper voice beneath the water and the giant ship
with huge, pale (antarctic) warriors sailing down the Gyoll. Abaia and Erebus are already within
The Commonwealth. Like them, Father Inire is playing games with the war. Everything about the war
is a sham. It is all about control and manipulation of one particular person, that being Severian.

(is Severian the Urthian equivalent of petroleum? heh)