(urth) spatial temporal rules of astral travel

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 23 13:26:54 PST 2010

>I would add that, like Severian, Horn in the Sewer on Green is, like Severian, not only
>armed with a sword but a light.

>Other than that, Marc, I think you have nailed it to a T. What more needs to be said?

Well, maybe I could add a little more. There is the parallel of the flooding of the Vincula
to consider. Perhaps it was David with whom I discussed that parallel earlier?

But the other element which needs to be discussed in the Sewer scene is the blind, old ghoul
who is there in the dark, living on the human corpses. He tries to stab Horn in the back when
he realizes what Horn intends to do.

If Horn is like Severian then who, on Urth, is like the ghoul? My G.U.T. has some answers.  Who
keeps trying to kill Severian or at least thwart the coming of the New sun and Flood? Who on
Urth continues to control the governments of humanity, forcing them to fight endless, pointless
wars and, in some manner, feed off the corpses (as The Mother feeds off dead sailors from
shipwrecks caused by her siren). We know who is controlling the government and directing the war
effort of the Ascians. How about the Commonwealth?