(urth) Severian's Family. What the text shows...

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Dec 22 10:18:05 PST 2010

On Dec 22, 2010, at 9:56 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com> wrote:

>> James Wynn: I think Severian knows the answer by the time he meets Ouen. But he's
>> not telling. Yeah, we should know more about Ouen. But we should definitely know more
>> about Catherine. I really expected Severian to meet her in tUotNS.
>
> I agree that Severian is not telling us a lot of embarassing stuff that he knows.
>
> I think Severian does meet her in tUotNS; sees her anyway, as the woman on the
> Path Of Air. As such, I think this ties her to the Contessa in the play and to the
> woman in the coffin that Vodalus/Hildegrin dig up. So perhaps all we need to know
> about her can be gleaned from these connections.

Yes, O agree that the Contessa and the woman on the Path of Air are probably Catherine. This scene is so poignant and mysterious. The connection between the two seems huge. The event is somehow in the Play, even though this scene happens after the writing of the play, and after Severian recounts the plays elements to Canog, so it's inclusion seems almost supernatural. Did revelation put it there?