(urth) Severian's Family. What the text shows...

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Wed Dec 22 09:56:04 PST 2010

Ooh, better and better!

Thanks Ryan.
I forgot to deal with Ouen.
(I'm not trying to prove a theory, just climbing out on a branch to see if it will hold.)

So James, are you mapping Ouen to Fish, as an anti-poleric brother to Severian?
That is interesting, though there is an age difference that keeps them from being twins as Fish and Frog are. Ouen is balding, and describes his twenties, when he got the locket, as in the past, yet Severian is only about twenty.  I had assumed Ouen was his Father of course, too, but somehow it always felt a bit flat to me.  (we need an aesthetic blowback icon)

Of course, if tying Ouen to Fish one would want to make sense of the slaying of fish and founding of the wall. Is this just a conflation with Romulus and Remus?  Would it be possible to say that Severian's reign is built somewhat on this foundation of having Ouen caring for Dorcas in the Oldgate Quarter? It is the first thing he does when he has returned and claimed the throne.