(urth) Fish and Caves

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 22 09:39:10 PST 2010

>David Stockhoff: Just briefly, I don't see that the Fish "symbol" is entirely ruled out.
>I'd say it's twisted into unrecognizability, for very good reasons: some having to do with
>avoiding a Sunday school lesson, and some having to do with the fact that everything in Briah
>is a twisted shadow.of something in our universe.

I agree, especially in the light of paired opposites I'm viewing things in. We've got evil fish
symbols and good ones. Maybe comparable to the Long Sun's simple Sign of Addition paired with the
gammadion (swastika) to represent "good" vs. "evil", light vs. dark, spiritual vs. mechanical aspects
of the Whorl.

In my growing view, it is combining the paired opposites which is seen (by wolfe?) as the expression
of the One True God. Good fish + evil fish, Severian + Apheta, Silk + Hyacinth, Apollo + Dionysus.
Maybe something like that. Since RttW gives us Quadrafons rather than Janus, it may be that the
process is more complicated than simple dyads.