(urth) Ouen and Catherine

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Tue Dec 21 20:54:22 PST 2010

>James Wynn- In fact, I disagree. Ouen is similar to Severian
>in appearance. Very very similar. However, no one AFAIK actually SAYS
>he's Severian's father. This is a paradox and one I would like spelled out.

I think, when the main text fails us in some way, we are meant to delve to a
different level of interpretation. I think mythological may serve here.

I find it virtually undeniable that Severian and his life resemble those of a
generic Greek hero, incest curse included. I may be alone in sensing an especially
close kinship of Severian to Hercules. Hercules was conceived via Zeus posing as
Alcmene's husband Amphitryon (he was born a twin since the the real husband also
impregnated her on the same night). So, who does Hercules resemble, Zeus? impossible.
So it must be Amphitryon. Perhaps this theme at least indirectly suggests a solution
to James' quandary or paradox.

If something similar happened in the Whorl, with Tussah and Silk, (Tussah being a
kind of silk/worm) perhaps it happened also on Urth. And a similar situation with
Jesus and Joseph. Did Jesus resemble Joseph?  I gather there is some controversy
over whether Jesus was descended from the House of David through his mother's or
"father's" line. But there is more than a suggestion that Jesus physically resembled
Joseph

Well, I don't have clear cut conclusions regarding this but the theme of an adoptive father
giving his resemblance to an adopted but divine son seems highly relevant to me. Severian
reminds me of Hercules and Jesus more than any other legendary figures.