(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 173

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 12:23:46 PST 2010

>> James Wynn:
>> The Rajan calls Hoof, Hide, and Sinew his sons. He warns Hide that Jahlee
>> (in soul travel and bearing the soul of Chenille) could be his "sister or aunt".
>> ResurrectedHorn accepts an inhumu bearing Sinew's soul as his son.
>
> Lee Berman-
> In your theory, Horn also becomes enjoined with a Neighbor named Greenbuck?
> In conjoining all these ungulate animal parts and humans, inhumi and
> Neighbors into his family, what exactly is the Narrator creating?

Well, he /was/ a greenbuck. I don't know his name or whether such
concepts are valid for Neighbors. The Not Horn becomes the father of the
Not Sinew. But in a sense, they were father and son. The connection was
there.

I think Wolfe is, again, exploring the nature of identity. He destroys
and refabricates Pas through Jerboa and Sand (and Oreb, says I), he
refabricates Chenille through Jahlee, refabricates Horn in the pit and
then through Silk, he refabricates Silk in a variety of ways.  I think
he refabs several other characters throughout the books but lets not get
into that. He obliterates these identities and restores them to see how
they react like some evil scientist in his tower.

What what am I beyond my memories? What are we to God? I could see this
being a very important personal question to Wolfe. Additionally,
familial titles are a key theological/mythological issue. The Christ is
called The Son of God (a concept systematically described by the early
first century Jewish philosopher Philo), but it is a mistake to think of
him as God Jr. By the same token we call God our Father; Roman Catholics
make free use of the terms Father, Mother, Sister, Brother; Evangelical
Christians call each other Brother and Sister. What are the values of
such relationships (real or titular) to one stripped of physicalities
such as memory.

In short, Wolfe has many angles. He is accomplishing many different things.

u+16b9