(urth) flooding and scripture

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Tue Dec 21 08:12:17 PST 2010

>> James Wynn-
>> "Literal-mindedness" and a lack of skepticism about Genesis is not
>> really a small minority among _observant_ Christians, Jews, or
>> Muslims in my experience, including observant Catholics. And for many
>> of those "anti-evolutionists", Science is their day job, just not
>> their religion. And perhaps that's all we need know about Wolfe's
>> Christan beliefs and why tBotNS could be interpreted as potentially
>> violating them: SF fantasy is his day job.
>
> Gerry Quinn-
> I don't really follow.  Do you think Wolfe is a Bible literalist?  I
> would find it easier to believe he is a crypto-communist!

It's true. You've failed to follow.

That thread was regarding why and whether "The Book of the New Sun"
contradicted Christian theology. What I said was that there is no reason
Wolfe would have necessarily felt compelled to have Severian's
futuristic world align with Christian theology. So, the basic plot and
setting of the novel is irrelevant.

u+16b9