(urth) Gene Wolfe is for Exultants

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 20 18:22:44 PST 2010

On 12/20/2010 6:24 AM, David Stockhoff wrote:
> That's right---especially the second paragraph---and it's a theme in
> BOTNS, where the oppressive effects of this type of rule are clearly
> seen throughout the Commonwealth, and where the aristocracy are local
> colonial elites supported by alien technology. Typhon did the same with
> these technologies when he had them.

Interesting - I'm not as sure as you seem to be that the Exultants are
just Urthlings writ large, but mentioning them in conjunction with
Typhon, who mentioned his slaves of larger sizes makes me think they are
connected.  This might explain why Exultant height is variously
inherited and the result of a therapy - they're result of different
experimental methods to set his favored servants litesrally above the
common masses.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >