(urth) Dionysus, the Mausoleum

Jane Delawney jane_delawney at sky.com
Mon Dec 20 17:38:45 PST 2010

On 20/12/10 20:46, Lee Berman wrote:

> the relevant puzzle pieces are:
>
> 1. The Mandragora- fetal man-dragon's conversation with Severian seems an important linkage.
>
> 2. Severian's relationship to FATHER Inire.
>
> 3. How are Father Inire and Typhon related? Did Typhon have a vizier? If so, I think he is easy to spot
> in UotNS. He may even make an appearance in Long/Short Sun.
>
> I'll leave it at that for now, with hopes others can provide insight.

Don't know if it's helpful or not but it appears to me at least that
toward the end of RTTW Cilinia / Scylla (a thirteen or fourteen year old
girl, who has suffered the huge misfortune of being born
male-chauvinist-pig Typhon's eldest child) finally lays herself to rest
in a small casket ... in a mausoleum that Severian has already, several
volumes beforehand, determined is destined to be his own.

As Scylla / Cilinia tells us, she must have (physically) died not long
after she was 'downloaded' to become one of the major 'deities' of the
Whorl. Her casket is tucked away in a corner of what Severian thinks of
as *his own* mausoleum. I have to say I was quite perturbed by this on
my first (and so far only) reading of RTTW - strongly suggests that
actually, Severian is a blood relative of Typhon, and will eventually,
after many time-travelling excursions, be interred in the Monarch's
family monument.

Sev loathes Typhon and kills him at the first opportunity (giving the
reader by the way an insight into why the 'Messiah' of Urth has to be a
trained executioner; he's been taught how to strike without holding
back, and he does so once he knows what he has to strike at). How
ironical it would be if it turned out that Severian was actually
Typhon's father, brother or uncle.

jd