(urth) tussah bought the embryo, right?

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 12:32:31 PST 2010

> Marc Aramini-
> Sorry to keep responding, but didn't Tussah BUY the embryo? Wasn't
> that one of the scandals of his reign? That's why I don't think he is
> Typhon, but just Silk's adopted father or purchaser.  Need to re-read
> Long Sun again.

I don't deny that Tussah is Silk's adopted father, but there were
reasons that he adopted him. Yes, he bought the embryo for an enormous
sum. Remora says he knew he was buying something "extraordinary"
although no else knew in what way.

    "Most of the beasts, and men, are--ah--commonplace. Or nearly, eh? A
    few--um--monstrosities, eh? Pitiful. Or fearful. Extraordinary
    prices for those. Give ear now, Patera...This was common knowledge,
    eh? Fifteen years ago. The calde's folly, we called it. Forgotten
    now, hum? And you're not to speak about it to anyone, Patera. Not to
    stir it up, hey?..Before he--ah--collected his reward from the gods,
    Patera, the calde paid out a sum of that--um--magnitude, hey? But a
    human embryo. Something--ah--extraordinary...A successor, eh? Or
    an--ah--weapon. Nobody knows, Patera. The Ayuntamiento's no wiser
    than yourself, Patera, now that I've told you."

Many readers seem to assume that the embryos were a total crap-shoot.
You paid for one and hoped for the best. But actually it is clear that
there were ways to know that that some of the embryos were guaranteed to
be "extraordinary". Those claimed much higher prices.
But WHY did Tussah buy it? There's no hint from the text that producing
a male heir was a worry for him. The fact is that he inexplicably (even
to those who knew of it) wanted /that/ embryo. I say that Silk's birth
repeated, in a way, the birth of his "original". The calde
(Typhon/Tussah) emplanted a clone in his mistress (Mother/Mamelta). And
this is the meaning of Tussah's announcement:

    "Although he is not the son of my body, my son shall be calde' after
    me."

Tussah's successor /was/ his son. It was just the minor point that his
son was not produced from his own body. But, I repeat, he /was/ his son.
That's a paradox, and this is the only resolution for it that I can
think of that doesn't drain the water from Tussah's declaration.

u+16b9