(urth) Dionysus

Marc Aramini marcaramini at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 20 10:54:43 PST 2010

Haven't posted in a long long time because of all the huge resistance to almost every aspect of my interpretation of Short Sun, but I will attempt to respond to James' statement that the Outsider should be outside.  Well, Typhon is essentially impersonating the Outsider with his message to Silk.  There is still an Outsider, but his factual presence in the text can be explained by Typhon just setting Silk up to think he has been truly enlightened, when really its all just the Plan of Pas/Typhon.  Once again, the Hubris of Typhon in trying to establish himself as an Outsider when in fact he simply serves that same divine will.  So the Outsider is just a myth put in the text by Typhon.

HOWEVER what's awesome about Wolfe is that the real true Outsider can be working through Typhon's megalomaniacal impersonation ... but Wolfe doesn't cheat by making a revelation actual evidence for the existence of God, he gives a true secular explanation hidden under a divine one that originally seems better than the lame secular one Crane gives, blood vessel exploding in the brain stuff.  The irony is that the weakest proposition to explain the enlightenment might be the "truest" physical explanation.

James, I am a weird Catholic and I have no problem with the enlightenment of Silk being both fully Typhon and fully Yahweh, just as I have no problem with evolution being fully natural and fully part of a divine ordering of a free universe.  So I don't think we disagree.  The Outsider is outside the whorl, but his voice is that of Typhon and Kypris, Satan transfigured by love.