(urth) the voice of the outsider is the conjunction of pas/kypris

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 20 09:18:41 PST 2010

> Marc Aramini-
> The sun books overarching, unifying trope beyond even salvation is
> that imitation begets truth.  Severian says time turns our lies into
> truth, and the process of creating a closed universe of the whorl with
> himself as a god within it made something much more noble out of
> Typhon (ie - the immortal computerized intellect of Pas is morally
> more respectable than Typhon even though it is the culmination of
> Typhon's attempts to become a God, the height of his hubris.)

Marc hasn't received any push-back on his "Pas/Kypris=Outsider" theory
so I figure I'll provide some.

The fundamental characteristic of the Outsider from Silk's POV is that
He is OUTSIDE the Whorl as opposed to the other gods of the Whorl who
(as Silk is well aware at the beginning of Nightside) are ONLY in the
Whorl. Silk knows that the gods of the Whorl were not worshiped in Urth.
He knows the Outsider /was/. Horn knows that the gods of the Whorl did
transport to Blue in any normal sense.

So, the fundamental problem with this theory, as I see it, is that it
casually flicks to the gutter the most fundamental attributes of the
Outsider. By this theory, Silk's Outsider is NOT a god outside of the
Whorl. Instead he is ACTUALLY and existentially _only_ an INSIDER. This
seems to be a serious betrayal of everything going on in the books.

Now there is an alternate theory, as I see it, in which the Outsider
MIGHT be other than the Increate. But, I have serious problems with that
one as well. But I'm willing to discuss it after we addressed some of
the problems with /your/ theory.

u+16b9