(urth) the voice of the outsider is the conjunction of pas/kypris

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sun Dec 19 09:24:04 PST 2010

Just had to add something which occurred to me and may sound crazy or may have
occurred to others. The means by which Wolfe suggests the motherhood of Catherine
and Mamelta are similar, requiring a non-logical intuition. In one case Severian is
staring a a pool  of clear water in the woods and her face "tears at his heart", etc.
In the other, Silk is disconcertedly staring at the crotch of a woman for whom the very
sound of her name invokes motherhood.

For me there is just a lot of similarity there though it's hard to say exactly why.