(urth) flooding and scripture

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Sat Dec 18 18:58:25 PST 2010

> Jack Smith -
> Most protestants do not read the scriptures literally either.  There
> is a strong emphasis on the conscience of the individual, as opposed
> to top-down authority, which fits in well with scientific inquiry.
> The know-nothing literal-minded anti-evolutionists are a small minority.

"Literal-mindedness" and a lack of skepticism about Genesis is not
really a small minority among _observant_ Christians, Jews, or Muslims
in my experience, including observant Catholics. And for many of those
"anti-evolutionists", Science is their day job, just not their
religion.  And perhaps that's all we need know about Wolfe's Christan
beliefs and why tBotNS could be interpreted as potentially violating
them: SF fantasy is his day job.

u+16b9