(urth) jungle hut jesus

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Sat Dec 18 13:44:02 PST 2010

>Marc Aramini: >One more point, all this talk of an "unknown" christ in Severian's
> Universe just seems wrong, wrong, very wrong.  Even though Severian
> was later conflated with the Conciliator, those early descriptions of
> the Conciliator are so Christlike as to be absurd, and the jungle hut
> with those missionaries seems like, you know, such an obvious
> reference not to a Conciliator but to a Christian missionary system,
> in our universe.

>David Stockhoff: That's exactly what it is: an obvious reference not to a Conciliator but
>to a Christian missionary system, in our universe.

Christian missionaries who have been put on display at a zoo and rendered somewhat ridiculous
in their speech and behavior.

I think this is an example of starting with a conclusion and then finding the evidence which
supports it. Not excluding myself from the process. If the conclusion is that our Jesus is present
in BotNS, the ambiguous evidence will be seen as supporting it.

Once my conclusion that this is a gnostic, non-Christ universe hit me, all the evidence for the
existence of Jesus Christ seemed turned to the opposite; evidence against him in this universe.

For me, we have BotNS Flood but it isn't our Flood. We have a BotNS Typhon but he isn't our Typhon.
My default assumption becomes that the BotNS Jesus isn't our Jesus. Might have gotten buried,
but earlier I built an argument for how the "scourger" in the Long Sun legend could refer to Severian.

I think we must all admit that our chosen conclusion shapes how we see the evidence.