(urth) The Outsider

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Sat Dec 18 08:30:22 PST 2010

On Dec 17, 2010, at 11:35 PM, Jeff Wilson <jwilson at io.com> wrote:

> On 12/17/2010 7:35 PM, Son of Witz wrote:
>> True, it may mean between suns. But I'd wager Ultan is learned enough to
>> choose his words carefully, and would likely know as much about this
>> stuff as Malrubius's aquastor.
>
> I don't see any way for Ultan to know about Yesodi-level goings on and yet feel free to share it so casually with someone he can't positively identify.

Well...

Are we convinced that Severian going to Ultan isn't part of his being steered?
Do we take Ultan at face value when he just knows, off the top of his head, that a book is leaning in such a way on such a shelf, even when he's been blind for years and his apprentice has no idea about?  This is a book that seems soooooooo important to Severian that he carries it through the entire BotNS. It is plausible that this is a truly random event, but NOTHING else about Severian's life, or the tasks he's assigned, seems random at all, so it is just as likely, perhaps more likely, that Ultan has had a hand in shaping him.

This book is treacherous.