(urth) Key to the Universe

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Fri Dec 17 23:29:35 PST 2010

On 12/17/2010 3:53 PM, DAVID STOCKHOFF wrote:
> I know what you mean.
>
> On one hand, the Alice quote is a legitimate literary allusion. On the
> other hand, Jonas quotes it.
>
> It appears that Urth has tracked Earth unnervingly closely in some ways.
> But if you look at the Jungle Room, where apparently historical
> characters appear anachronistically, perhaps there are serious
> differences, proving that there can be serious differences.

Remember, in the BOTNS, time proceeds only mostly linearly, with many
loops and echoes backwards and possibly forewards. If we take other
metafictional hints in the BOTNS, the universe(s) described in the Book
are themselves book-like, proceeding from draft to draft with the best
lines and tropes congealing around the plot skeleton. The Increate,
outside of time, fiddles with manuscript, keeping some elements while
rearranging others, and trying to work in His favored set pieces like
the Flood where He can.

Jeff Wilson - jwilson at io.com
< http://www.tamut.edu/CIL >