(urth) The Outsider

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Fri Dec 17 04:52:22 PST 2010

I think it is unnecessary to study too closely the question of
incarnations and universes. Seems to me that the question of how many
incarnations can fit into the multiverse depends far more on one's sense
of a "universe" than on one's theology. Lewis is bound to think
differently from Wolfe, and so on. At one point we discussed this on the
planetary level (specifically, Wolfe's Christmas story set on another
planet).

Recall that "universe" was once commonly  taken to refer to our galaxy
alone; now we know how much bigger the universe is than we thought a
mere 100 years ago. And theories of its construction have advanced
tremendously as well.

After all, even if we objectively observe several "universes," how do we
know whether these represent subdivisions of a universe, or additions
into a multiverse?

We don't. The "Author" has the final say, and can therefore hand out the
incarnations as he sees fit.