(urth) (no subject)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 17:27:46 PST 2010

I think this issue is a critical point. Certainly something to be
addressed in discussing whether entire universes may have been left in
the dark by chance or intent.

Personally, I envision infinite universes which are ruthlessly pruned as
needed, as Severian drowned Urth, in a process akin to natural
selection. I understand if this idea is distasteful to some, and I can't
support it from the text even though we know this principle applies to
life on Earth.

But why else would entire races of beings work to uplift one (even the
one that received the Logos), if there were not some background process
that was deemed insufficient?

On 12/16/2010 6:25 PM, Jeff Wilson wrote:
>> Better check with the theologians on that. Here, Wolfe's probable
>> beliefs must trump our own.
> The concept of "anonymous Christianity" is built on the precept that
> Christ's sacrifice is sufficient to save everyone for all times, and that
> His transcendent grace is not restricted by human ignorance of the gospel.
> This is held to allow innocent pagans, unbaptized infants, etc. to
> constructively embrace salvation without exposure to the gospel or the
> capacity to intellectually comprehend it. There's a sort of darker side to
> it, in that missionaries who bring the good news give people who otherwise
> wouldn't the chance to affirmatively embrace it but also to overtly reject
> it.
>
> _

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101216-1, 12/16/2010
Tested on: 12/16/2010 8:27:46 PM