(urth) (no subject)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 17:01:17 PST 2010

On 12/16/2010 3:18 PM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

> ----- Original Message ----- From: "David Stockhoff"
> <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
>
>> I thought you wanted to argue from the text. You're arguing from
>> Gerry's gut now.
>>
>> Christ is plainly NOT in the story. And this makes sense if we
>> accept, as we have been told, that Urth is in a previous iteration,
>> and Severian lives in the far future of that iteration (from our
>> perspective).
>>
>> Christ will come in a future iteration, and these are all signs of
>> his coming, just as the light from Apollo's face presaged it in our
>> own part of the cycle.
>
> What you seem to be saying here is that this iteration features a
> Jesus who is not Christ, although he acts and spoke as Christ did.
> And since we have heard of Allah, presumably there is there is a
> Mohammed, and he has pointed to the Increate. Mohammed may have been
> functionally identical to that of our iteration, just like the Apollo
> astronauts.  In fact most things seem to have been identical.  The
> Increate is present, and rules over all iterations.
>
> The fundamental difference is that Jesus was not Christ, and therefore
> the inhabitants of this universe, stuck with a dud Jesus, must make do
> with Dionysus, who somehow prefigures Christ better than other deities
> - is that a valid summary of what you are saying?
No. All of this is false, except that Al-Lah is mentioned and the
Increate exists.

> Here are some reasons that spring to mind for doubting it:
>
> (1) Why should there not be an Incarnation in more than one iteration
> of the universe?
I am baffled by this question. Why indeed?

> (2) Who is Jesus in this universe - and what happens him in ours?
Again, what?

> (3) What's the big deal about Dionysus?  He has a few symbols in
> common with Christ, but not much else. He doesn't really seem to be
> any kind of proto-Christ.
Dionysus is a strong allusion. Just like everything else in the books. I
am beginning to understand---you may be taking this stuff too literally.

> (4) It's a SF seriese, not the foundational text of a new religion.
Bingo!

> - Gerry Quinn

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101216-1, 12/16/2010
Tested on: 12/16/2010 8:01:18 PM