(urth) (no subject)

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 16 11:03:12 PST 2010

Made me crack open my copy of Tolkien's letters. Some relevant stuff in #153 "To
Peter Hastings":

"As for 'whose authority decides these things?' the immediate 'authorities' are
the Valar (the Powers or Authorities): the 'gods'. But they are only created
spirits - of high angelic order we should say, with their attendant lesser
angels - reverend, therefore, but not worshipful... [and then adds in a lengthy
note]: There are thus no temples or 'churches' or fanes int his 'world' among
'good' peoples. They had little or no religion in the sense of worship. For help
they may call on a Vala (as Elbereth), as a Catholic might on a Saint, though no
doubt knowing in theory as well as he that the power of the Vala was limited and
derivative. But this is a 'primitive age': and these folk may be said to view
the Valar as children view their parents or immediate adult superiors, and
though they know they are subjects of the King he does not live in their country
nor have there any dwelling..."

There's more. But what may be relevant to the discussion of how much Tolkien
actually worried about matching up his mythology with actual Christian history
is his long discussion in the same letter about the value of "subcreation" and
its potential for overstepping the bounds of God's type of Creation. He seems
very much at pains to point out that he is doing something very humble and not
at all meant to be actually part of "creating theology" or anything like that.
He continually reminds the writer who wrote him (a Catholic book store owner)
that he was writing fiction and not things meant to be taken as "too true."