(urth) Sci-Fi

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 16 10:03:05 PST 2010

On Dec 16, 2010, at 9:44 AM, "Gerry Quinn" <gerryq at indigo.ie> wrote:

> From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>
>
>> "Sci-Fi" is the sound of two crickets screwing.
>>
>> More seriously: "Sci-Fi" is a term made up by a publicity hack, in
>> analogy with the then-popular "Hi-Fi" for "high fidelity" stereo
>> equipment. It referred, and in many SF fans' minds still refers, to
>> movies about giant insects devouring Cleveland and suchlike. "Sci-fi"
>> is, in short, _bad_ science fiction.
>
> Or, more precisely, sciemce fiction as described by those with no idea of what is good or bad science fiction.  I think I would have subscribed to that concept in the past, but I feel that the term 'sci-fi' has lost a good deal of its pejorative force over the past couple of decades.  So while I would use 'SF', 'Sci-Fi' no longer bothers me much.
>
> - Gerry Quinn

I agree Gerry.

I love me some Heavy Metal.
Bands in the nineties that played what they, today, would be proud to call "Metal" had to call it "Grunge" in order to not be lumped in with all that  80's Hair Metal.
Every realm is mostly crap, even and especially in the most high brow stuff. Fine art has more turds per dozen than literature, I'd wager.

Just stick to your tropes and who fucking cares about the ever changing winds of popular opinion known as Fashion!

~witz