(urth) (no subject)

Son of Witz Sonofwitz at butcherbaker.org
Thu Dec 16 09:58:42 PST 2010

Good post Craig.

I want anyone who is paying attention to what I've written to understand clearly that I don't think Wolfe has rendered a cosmology that actually models his belief system in BotNS, nor do I think he does that in his other works, of which I have only read a small portion.

The discussion is perhaps complicated by the idea that there are "two authors", one translating the other from a different culture.  I think it is undeniable that Severian takes all of his philosophical musings with heartfelt seriousness. As a reader and an artist, I just don't feel that an author would invest that many pages in such musings if he didn't hold them somewhat dearly. (of course, an author writing a propaganda piece would, but I don't smell that stink on the Sun Series.)

I merely suggest that Wolfe has his own deeply felt philosophical ideas that have been expertly EXPLORED in the permutations of these twelve novels. I do not think he has made a literal map of his views.  That people seem to think this is my view is part of why I feel like I'm banging my head against a wall. I'm talking about METAPHOR. This is why I'm always trying to swat off the "yeah but if Jesus didn't give his sermon in briah" nonsense.  It's waaaay too literal take on a Speculative Metaphysical Fantasy, in my opinion. Your milage may vary.

To that end, I think a few things SEEM fairly undeniable about the real world author of these books philosophical / metaphysical views:

He seems to believe the realm of humanity is a fallen realm that needs regeneration and salvation from powers beyond the stage of Earth.

He seems to believe in the unity of seeming opposites on fundamental aspects of reality like Resurrection & Death, Past & Future, Good & Evil, etc.

He seems to have a heartfelt belief that the soul transcends death.

He seems to have digested the human condition exeedingly well, and is capable of rendering the grandest human notions against the most common human foibles.

He seems to write using many extremely loaded metaphysical symbols because he is deeply concerned about the realities that these symbols represent to the humanity. They work too well and run too deep to be some post-modern monkey-shines.

Does anyone honestly think this small list is off the mark?

 ~Witz