(urth) Sci-Fi

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Thu Dec 16 09:44:18 PST 2010

From: "Dan'l Danehy-Oakes" <danldo at gmail.com>

> "Sci-Fi" is the sound of two crickets screwing.
>
> More seriously: "Sci-Fi" is a term made up by a publicity hack, in
> analogy with the then-popular "Hi-Fi" for "high fidelity" stereo
> equipment. It referred, and in many SF fans' minds still refers, to
> movies about giant insects devouring Cleveland and suchlike. "Sci-fi"
> is, in short, _bad_ science fiction.

Or, more precisely, sciemce fiction as described by those with no idea of
what is good or bad science fiction.  I think I would have subscribed to
that concept in the past, but I feel that the term 'sci-fi' has lost a good
deal of its pejorative force over the past couple of decades.  So while I
would use 'SF', 'Sci-Fi' no longer bothers me much.

- Gerry Quinn