(urth) (no subject)

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 09:23:23 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn: So we have both Dionysus and Allah mentioned in similar contexts.  Both are
>forgotten (nobody even remembers the name of the son of Thyone), while the Outsider is nearly
>forgotten on the Whorl.

So if the Outsider is our God, the creator of all universes, then Wolfe is saying that worshippers
of Allah and Dionysus are all worshipping the same God that Catholics worship. Just differently
named. No quarrel from me, but there might be from others.

>There remains the question of Jesus.  I think this aspect of the Increate is strongly emphasised in
>the persona of the Outsider.  Allah and Dionysus, not so mucxh.

Well, first you need to distinguish Jesus from Christ. With two universes there is an argument that there
can be one without the other.

Allah is mentioned once. Jesus-figures a couple times. Dionysus as Wine God..and other gnostic references
like "Abraxas" and "Demiurge" are mentioned a lot more and a lot more explicitly than those other two in the
Sun series. Methinks your elevation of Jesus above the other two derives not from the text but from your
society/culture.

>So I don't see the necessity for making great interpretational leaps just because it is not mentioned.

Given your society/culture it may be difficult for you to realize that you are making the great interpretational
leap by assuming Christ is in the story even though neither he nor salvation is mentioned. Others who do not insert
Christ into the Sun series are being conservative, parsimonious and more true to the text.