(urth) (no subject)

David Stockhoff dstockhoff at verizon.net
Thu Dec 16 09:01:16 PST 2010

Why is it a great leap?

Either other paths of salvation exist, or they do not. I have never
heard of any such, except that many have commented that heathens may
attain grace and thus be considered eligible. Generally, Christians
speak of "Salvation through Jesus Christ Our Lord amen etc."

But the Son came here for the express purpose of salvation. If he
doesn't show up, then all we are left with is grace---and Severian seems
to attain some version of that.

No leap at all.

On 12/16/2010 11:14 AM, Gerry Quinn wrote:

>> The "similar history" is explained by the same principle as the
>> similar (but not identical)
>> geography of Urth to our Earth. Wolfe says he conceives of Briah as a
>> different universe than ours,
>> a previous iteration.
>>
>> I think it is more accurate to say Long Sun has religious references
>> to a Jesus-like character.
>> Nothing about salvation is mentioned, that I know of.
>
> I agree that this aspect of Christian doctrine is not mentioned, but
> the obvious reason is that Wolfe's cosmogony is complex enough without
> it! Also, I think it plausible that Wolfe believes salvation might be
> attained by means other than the Incarnation, particularly in a
> hypothethical universe where Jesus did not exist.  So I don't see the
> necessity for making great interpretational leaps just because it is
> not mentioned.

---
Virus Database (VPS): 101216-0, 12/16/2010
Tested on: 12/16/2010 12:01:16 PM