(urth) Dionysus and the Outsider

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Thu Dec 16 07:27:01 PST 2010

>Antonio Pedro Marques- That DOES fall in line with Craig's trinity idea, doesn't it?

Like David, I'm not feeling fully keyed in to in depth discussions on the Trinity. But, SilkHorn,
continuing his lesson to HOund, does remark on a confusing scenario in which The Outsider and
Pas are related as Father-Son-Father in some manner.

I'll mention that in my research into Dionysus, this Greek god does match very well with the
Outsider in that he is seen as one of the ancient chaotic gods who just couldn't quite be
tied up or pinned under a rock or relegated to a constellation. So he was reborn- conceived
as a product of a Zeus- Semele/Thyone mating and conception but upon her death during pregnancy
he was actually gestated and born directly from Zeus' leg or something eventually becoming an
Olympian.

So, Dionysus'essence was composed of ancient god (Holy Spirit?), Zeus (Father?) and human (Son?).

[anthropologically, I have to tie the ancient nature gods with primitive hunter-gathering Greeks,
the big ugly Titans with warlike Barbarian Greeks and the petty, pretty Olympians with the civilized
Greeks. Not a surprise that the more civilized Greeks were not willing to just toss aside wine
and the wild, uninhibited partying associated with it. Thus Dionysus, conflated with Pan, ends up
outliving all the other Olympians and still remains with us today- see shows like Girls Gone Wild and
Jersey Shore for a glimpse, heh]