(urth) christ, already

Matthew Weber palaeologos at gmail.com
Wed Dec 15 17:06:58 PST 2010

No, you're definitely onto something which is not bud here.

The vertical meeting the horizontal is also a way of looking at the
Incarnation.  God, who exists outside of Time and even of Space, enters
human history at a specific point as a human being.  The horizontal
(time-based humanity) meets the vertical (God, who is OUTSIDE--eh?).  And of
course, the symbol you refer to is the instrument of death.

All through the Fourth Gospel Jesus refers to his impending "glorification".
 The Apostles think he's talking about being crowned King of a reunited
Judah & Israel, but he's referring to another kind of elevation
entirely--his raising-up upon the wood of the Cross.