(urth) christ, already

Craig Brewer cnbrewer at yahoo.com
Wed Dec 15 16:17:03 PST 2010

Strangely enough, I think that's actually a point of debate in the history of
theology: namely, does the universe only need one redeemer? Does every planet
need its own Christ? Would every iteration of a cyclical universe need its own
Christ to be saved? Or was one enough to get the job done, as it were? Seems
like I remember reading once that this argument has popped up a number of times
in places FAR removed from science fiction. (I'm no theology expert, so I
couldn't tell you where I read this.)

As for separating Christ from Jesus, though...for a Christian, that's splitting
hairs, isn't it? Christ/"annointed one"/the "Messiah" isn't an abstraction. It
had an actual, personal, historical occurrence in Jesus of Nazareth and that
SPECIFIC instantiation matters. I mean, if Christ is the Word/Logos made flesh,
then the flesh of Jesus isn't an accidental property. The whole point was that
god became a specific, historical man, not just a man in general.

Again, I'm no theologian, so I've probably got all kinds of things wrong...and
in the end, like I said about the Outsider, I'm not sure how much any of this
really matters to Long Sun.