(urth) Father Inire: teratoid

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Tue Dec 14 15:33:03 PST 2010

> I'm not so good at religious, especially Christian, philosophy. But I get
> the impression Gene Wolfe believes in the
> reality of the polytheistic pagan gods and the gnostic pre-Christ world of
> angels and demons.

> I get the impression Wolfe feels we on Earth are lucky enough to have
> gotten Christ,

These are both attested to by Wolfe in interviews, so your impressions are
correct.

> so not only is there forgiveness
> of our sins, a reconcilliation between God and man, but also a joining of
> the various opposite aspects of gods from
> our gnostic past. They have been reconciled into one true, unified God.
> (that never quite happens in Briah or on
> Ushas).

There is a possibility that the Green Man is meant to suggest this happens
in the distant future of Ushas. If his people are fed internally by their
symbiotic algae and no longer must rely on the yearly success of crops or
catch, they no longer must sacrifice to the four gods, and may live
directly from the light of the Sun, with likewise no intercessors between
themselves and God.