(urth) Father Inire: teratoid

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 14 09:49:55 PST 2010

Plausible.
Has anyone else thought that the word Wolfe is thinking of when Severian writes about the serpent and sword (some strong allusion right there) "----st" is the word "Christ"?

--- On Tue, 12/14/10, Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com> wrote:

From: Jerry Friedman <jerry_friedman at yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: (urth) Father Inire: teratoid
Date: Tuesday, December 14, 2010, 12:13 PM

From: Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com

Perhaps I'm being too literal here and should join in with David on the Wolfean joke. But for me, the glyph is in
an alien "language". Who is it supposed to warn of danger? Barbatus getting lost in the Secret House?
For some reason David continues to dance away from what I see as the clear association here: If mirrors connect to
monsters then Father Inire connects to Hethor.

>Son o' Witz- So, of course I'm trying to figure out what this teratoid symbol LOOKS like.

Heh, me too.
I'd never noticed the irony that when Severian tells us the appearance of the glyph but doesn't know its meaning, and when we wonder what
the glyph looks like exactly, "We are like children who look at print and see a serpent in the last letter but one, and a sword in the last."

My theory is that it's the word in Father Inire's native language for "mirrors".  As people are saying, since the mirrors can call monsters, it's
appropriate that whatever is written there looks monster-like to Severian.

(Sorry if this message is messed up.  Yahoo seems to be misbehaving.)

Jerry Friedman

-----Inline Attachment Follows-----