(urth) Father Inire: teratoid

DAVID STOCKHOFF dstockhoff at verizon.net
Tue Dec 14 09:47:27 PST 2010

Thanks Mo
Someone suggested that the glyph is a Chinese character. That's plausible, if possibly racist given the "monstrous" connotation. Chinese calligraphy and type sometimes uses red, and the script can seem angry and horned, perhaps a bit demonic to the nonreader. (Lovecraft probably imagined Arabic, Chinese, and other scripts in a similar way when he wrote of books of nameless horror, which is perhaps a point in the theory's favor.)
But because of the connection is potentially Korean, not Chinese, unfortunately I have to point out that Korean uses Chinese characters even less than Japanese does. We can imagine the glyph as Korean calligraphy, but then who would use calligraphy on an underground door to a transporter room?
I think the answer is in the word "teratoid." Teratoid means monster-like---in other words, RESEMBLING  A MONSTER.
What could this be but a"universal" symbol denoting the presence of monsters and connoting danger? Three pairs of horns and three sets of tentacles would do the trick for most people.