(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 22:19:26 PST 2010

> > Here's the entrance to the transporter room:
We had descended perhaps a hundred steps when we reached a door painted with a crimson *teratoid*
> sign that appeared to me to be a glyph from some tongue beyond the shores of Urth.
> >
> > Wolfe is spelling it out!  Okay, an alternative interpretation is that the symbol is associated with Inire.
But if you > > prefer, here's another allusion to starflight.  [See, I can play the allusion game too!]
this wing has always been Father Inire's.   Inire grabs the high tech stuff, natch.  A starship is perfect for him.
> -Meaningless. You can't have stairs and doors with DANGER glyphs underground?

The word "teratoid" does not connote "DANGER". It pertains to monsters. The association of mirrors and monsters
seems unmistakable here.

> Jonas speaks of his childhood on Urth. He says that 'Kim Lee Soong' was a common name in his youth 'in lands now
lost beneath the waves'. Does he actually speak of his childhood?  He was a robot, after all. Still,
I take your point that he seems to have known something of the Urth of his youth.

>It is true that just because Jonas recognizes a drop-down ceiling, it doesn't mean it is a ship.

Jonas is part-robot, part-human.  His head is human. Why is it being assumed that all his memories are first and
foremost robot memories? I would tend to assume the opposite.