(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Mon Dec 13 16:58:35 PST 2010

From: David Duffy davidD at qimr.edu.au

[/The Trial/]

> My memory of the book was pretty distant, as I had thought some court
>supplicant families had waited generations in a waiting room.
> When I looked over an online copy last night, the analogies were less direct.
>a) People (eg the usher and his wife) live in the court
> anteroom when the court is not in session -- then they move their furniture
>out, except for the washtub ;). The court is in the ramshackle
> attics of a tenement building. b) Supplicants are always waiting in a long
>corridor, even when the court is not in session. c) When K.
> opens the door of the junk room at his bank, he finds the _whip man_ punishing
>the two police who arrested K., for corruption (one of
> them ate K.'s breakfast) ; d) The story of the Doorkeeper, where the
>protagonist waits outside the door of the Law to be let in, for the
> entire length of his life.

Thanks.  I can see definite similarities.  Of course, there's also the
possibility of young Wolfe sitting in a waiting room and thinking, or saying,
"You could spend your life here.  I mean, you could have babies and grow old and
die here.  And then your kids could carry on after you..."

Jerry Friedman