(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Jeff Wilson jwilson at io.com
Mon Dec 13 12:45:14 PST 2010

> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 11:58 AM, Lee Berman <severiansola at hotmail.com>
> wrote:
>
>> I consider this an essential question that demands an answer. If Father
>> Inire is not on
>> Urth, there is only one place in the Labyrinth he could "logically" be.
>> The Ship.
>
> Um. That he isn't helping Valeria doesn't necessarily mean that he's
> not on Urth.

At the end of Citadel, when Sev signs off to board The Ship, he speculates
that Inire will not long survive the coming of the New
Sun due to his extreme old age. Since Severian is expecting the New Sun to
come as shortly as a few years, the fifty year interval that ends in the
thrown room with all the other parties assembled suggests that Inire's
just plain dead.