(urth) Faterh Inire Theory

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Mon Dec 13 09:57:46 PST 2010

>Gerry Quinn- Do you also find your audiences respond well to patronisation?

I always mirror my audiences in tone. Speaking in their language is the best,
sometimes only way, to achieve communication.

>As for Star Trek, it certainly has its merits, but its medium, format and
>audience militate against the subtle themes and expressions we look for in
>Wolfe's books.  That is all I am saying

And all I am saying is that there is a good chance Gene Wolfe gathered with
his family each week in the late 60's for episodes of Star Trek as so many American
families did, including my own. You seem to suggest the show was beneath him and you.
And the same for me and my family. We have the recent evidence of Ryan saying
Gene Wolfe's only exposure to a classic legend was a Disney movie. As I was saying,
in regard to patronisation, I mirror my audience.

>Are we closer to apes than mice are to rats?  Mice and rats would certainly
>think so. I guess it would depend on your criteria.  (Genetic distance is
>one possible criterion, but there are others.)

Are there? Within the acknowledged evolutionary framework we were discussing,
what other criterion is there? Are fish and whales close? they look alike, have
some similar adaptations..but I don't see how that is relevant to our discussion.

>As for tools other than rationality and logic, I do not in the least
>discount them.  I assert that the best understanding comes when we use all
>our tools, not just some.  From my perspective, you seem averse to using the
>tools of rationality and logic, lest they show you something you do not
>like.

You seem to discount intuition and gestalt understanding in here. I can't speak to
your attitude else where. You are descending to rhetorical snottiness rather than
your true observations. If I was really averse to using the tools of rationality and
logic then my cheese would be riposted by the hyperbolic perigee of pinballs and gum.

>I am 51, so it would appear that a generational difference may be discounted
as a possibility.

Agreed. I asked because there was a time period in my life when I thought and spoke as you
do now.  I think we will have to just agree that we think differently and leave it at that.
I will defer any last words to you.