(urth) Urth Digest, Vol 76, Issue 82

James Wynn crushtv at gmail.com
Mon Dec 13 06:02:57 PST 2010

> Andrew Mason-
> Often when asked about such things he is quite ready
> to clarify them. For instance, when asked who Blood's father was he
> said, quite straighforwardly, 'Patera Pike' - and once he has said
> that, you can look at the text and see things which do indeed indicate
> it. Before he said that people may have had different views on who
> Blood's father was, and those turned out to be wrong.  it's not clear
> where to draw a line between cases like this and the kind of radical
> ambiguity you're suggesting, where no one needs to be wrong.

Off the subject, you know, I can't ever remember being confused about
Blood's father. I was really surprised to learn it was a matter of
dispute. I'm not bragging. I mean, I might have just been lucky in
picking my interpretation. However, it brings to mind Lee's young
woman/crone picture analogy. Or, Stephen King's ink blot/picture of
Jesus analogy in "The Shining". When I read it, I said "Oh, Pike, Blood,
Rose of Sharon." People bring different backgrounds to Wolfe's works and
sometimes they pay off. I always think of Alice K. Turner's connection
between Jonas and the Tin Woodman.
http://www.urth.net/urth/archives/v0209/1785.txt.shtml