(urth) Orchid

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sun Dec 12 16:21:40 PST 2010

Gerry Quin  wrote:

> I thought she meant the Outsider.

Of course! Why didn't I see that? I guess because people in Viron
neglect the Outsider, it didn't occur to me Kypris would be thinking
of him. but of course he was worshipped on Urth - and interacting with
Silk would have reminded her of him.

Lee Berman wrote:

> I am not nearly as familiar with Long Sun as BotNS but I'll give it a shot. In my opinion, Kypris'
> advice to Orchid is actually advice to herself.  Her beloved Pas has been deleted from Mainframe
> and now she must find another object to love.

Could be. I take it she really is trying to help Orchid, but she may
well be letting  her own case guide her thoughts. (Though what you say
brings in questions about the meaning of the series as a whole, which
I carefully haven't raised yet.)

> "Something" implying an object is a funny reference.

I don 't think 'something' is too odd; it just implies that the object
of her love needn't be a person. For Mint, for instance, it seems,
centrally,  to have been the city.