(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Jerry Friedman jerry_friedman at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 11 12:12:48 PST 2010

From: Gerry Quinn <gerryq at indigo.ie>

> From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
> > So a drop ceiling is simply a cover---in plain sight---for something Wolfe
>does not reveal at all.

Actually, he does reveal it.  "Beyond it I saw a network of slender metal bars,
and through
them a vaulted ceiling with many moldings and a flaking painting [of] clouds and
birds."
(CotNS, Ch. XVI.)

> Still, if it isn't Jonas's ship, or a similar one, how does one explain his
>observations (which
> are confirmed by Severian) about the architecture of the place?

As far as I can tell, all he observes is the drop ceiling, which he might have
seen on a ship or
on the ground.

A vaulted ceiling is a bit odd for a spaceship but quite normal for a room built
underground.

> And when they found the transporter room, Jonas was instantly able to activate
>the controls.

That just suggests that at least some ground-based and ship-based transporters
are made the
same way.  There's no obvious reason for them to be different, and an obvious
reason for them
to be the same.

I assume that if I were on an ocean liner, I'd know how to work the phones.
Maybe a better
analogy is that someone who could handle an ordinary motorboat could probably
handle
a lifeboat.

Jerry Friedman