(urth) Father Inire theory cont.

Andrew Mason andrew.mason53 at googlemail.com
Sat Dec 11 11:26:03 PST 2010

Lee Berman wrote:

> 3. Ultan says that on the Feast Day, their guild marches down "Iubar Street" conspicuously mentioning
> the name twice. Iubar is a Latin word invoking radiant light, a splendid, glorious appearance,
> the morning star, and the chemical phosphorus. All these are directly related to Lucifer.

They are also related to the sun. Iubar Street is mentioned again near
the end of _Urth_, when Eata says there was a party there to celebrate
Valeria's second marriage. I would take it that it is the main street
of the city, and represents the people's devotion (nominally, at
least) to the New Sun. (Note also that the cathedral has candles
representing the Claw.)

> 4. Ultan mentions books bound in the hides of echidnes and krakens. This could mean spiny anteater
> and giant squid skins. But any mention in this story of a giant sea monster and the Mother of All
> Monsters/wife of Typhon raises a red flag for me.
>>
> 6. Ultan is especially familiar with the book Lives of the Seventeen Megatherians as well as Wonders Of
> Urth and Sky. Both books seem to deal with the monsters in the sea and their origins.

I would say that both _Wonders of Urth and Sky_ and the library as a
whole contain monsters because they contain _everything_.