(urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

Gerry Quinn gerryq at indigo.ie
Sat Dec 11 07:42:51 PST 2010

----- Original Message -----
From: "David Stockhoff" <dstockhoff at verizon.net>
Sent: Saturday, December 11, 2010 12:40 PM
Subject: Re: (urth) Faterh Inire Theory cont.

> But drop ceilings are found in basements and office buildings. Are they
> also found in ships?

It's not just about the ceiling:
    Jonas pulled himself up until he was sitting with his back to the wall.
His face had gone pale under the brown, and it shone     with perspiration
as he said, "Can't you imagine how this place came to be? Look around you."

    I did so, seeing no more than I had seen before: the sprawling room with
its dim lamps.

    "This used to be a suite-several suites, probably. The walls have been
torn away, and a uniform floor laid over all the old     ones. I'm sure
that's what we used to call a drop ceiling. If you were to lift one of those
panels, you'd see the original                 structure above it."

My interpretation is that Jonas recognises the structural materials of which
the walls of the antechamber are composed and/or their design, because they
are part of his old spaceship.

I wouldn't say I'm wedded to this theory, but it seems plausible, given the
other supporting evidence.  And it would be typical of Wolfe to hide such a
thing in plain sight (I wonder if my differences with Lee and James are in
part due to us looking for puzzle solutions in different places?  They look
for allusions, I look at descriptions and events in the story.)

- Gerry Quinn