(urth) Father Inire Theory cont.

Lee Berman severiansola at hotmail.com
Fri Dec 10 14:23:35 PST 2010

>David Stockhoff- It's possible that you don't know enough to see the value in distinctions between them.

Yes, I admit that. On the other hand it's possible you know too much of them and as Andrew and Dan'l suggest,
requiring me to distinguish them in every mention would wear out my slash button, already worn out from
Pan/Dionysus/Faunus stuff. Sorry if I sound frazzled. I am. It is a lot of effort for me to convert complex
mental images into brief, concise verbal constructions. All while at work. Sheesh. Also, okay, on Abaddon-hell
issue.

>Tzadkiel's largest form (that we see) is described as big as an island. Erebus and Abaia are a bit smaller,
>being only the size of mountains.

David- I don't understand.

In the first four books we see an island-sized Tzadkiel in the Mirror Bookknow. We know there are large
creatures in the sea as large as mountains and we know of undines and somehow Wolfe was expecting us to deduce
far too much about what was going on. So he wrote UotNS and showed us Tzadkiel and his ship. (maybe there is an
even bigger, planet-sized Tzadkiel that we don't see, who knows).

Severian notes that Father Inire's portals resemble Tzadkiel's but are inferior. To me this says what happens on
Tzadkiel's ship for an angel is what happens on Urth for fallen angels, but inferior. Tzadkiel is able to
break off pieces of himself in varying sizes, shapes, species and genders. So the fallen angels on Urth can
do the same but in an inferior way.

>Sure, but you said Erebus controls Inire. Who controls the Devil, or the Serpent, or Lucifer? No one.
>You need to set up a model and stick to it.

I don't understand. Tzadkiel has pieces of himself running around in various shapes and sizes doing his will.
Abaia/Erebus also. One is Father Inire. Please don't demand exact, specified descriptions of mental constructs
of things Gene Wolfe has left purposefully incomprehensible (as superhuman beings must be). It isn't fair. I can't
make my theory fit your views and everyone else's. Hard enough to get my own ideas out.

>The Cumaean is a possibility for fallenness, but then who is she? Is she also the Devil? Is she Inire?

A very good question. I don't know but my theory allows for two possibilities. Mythologically, she could be
like a sister to Inire. One of Inire's agents resemble Charon, son of Erebus and Night.  Noctua is the daughter
of Abaia/Erebus and Night in the story. If she is meant to be more of a Gnostic symbol she is the female aspect
of the multi-faced, hermaprohoditic, lord of all opposites, Dionysus/Great God Pan. So, in this case more like a
part of Father Inire. who can tell anyway with superhuman creatures who can reproduce both sexually and asexually.
They are, at the end of the day, incomprehensible to us.

>Andrew Mason- Gerry, I totlally agree with your general point that Tzadkiel's ship isn't the only means of interstellar >transport, but I'm worried about some of the details.

I'm going to leave B, F and O's ship out of the conversation. It could be interstellar but we don't see that. It could be
a tender which connects solar system travel to Tzadkiel's ship. I think the text supports that idea better.

Typhon's empire had interstellar ships but they don't work or exist any more that we see. I think this ties into the
sense some of us get of Inire being an earth-bound god, like Fenrir or Prometheus or Azazel or immortal Typhon himself
under the rock. Yes, I see a connection between Father Inire and Typhon but I can't get into that yet.

I think Hethor almost surely served on Tzadkiel's ship as he speaks of "demon-haunted mirror sails". Michael Andre-
Driussi correctly, I think, sees sail scraps as the source of Hethor's portable mirrors. Later I will try to post
some of Hethor's rantings about his poppet-doll (almost surely a human girl but a toy to him) his duties as ship cook
bosun, first mate and captain but how foul traitors took his captaincy etc. I see Inire as Hethor on the ship and I see
a parallel between his rantings and the Lucifer-God relationship.